No student is a native speaker of mathematics! Math is full of technical language and structures that add another layer to already challenging concepts. In this workshop, you will practice finding what language is needed to be successful in math along with routines and practices to develop that language throughout the day.
Participants will learn how to:
- capitalize on students’ assets to build language using math content.
- understand the developmental nature of language and proficiency level.
- analyze the language demand of mathematics content.
- create meaning-making activities that engage English learners in math.
- match appropriate language scaffolds/supports (or removal of) to math activities and assessments.
October 14th - November 22nd
Eligible for 2 graduate credits through Brandman University (for an extra fee paid directly to Brandman. More info provided upon registering).